I'm amazed at how my Savior can take any and every circumstance around me to show me more about him. My prayer has always been that this journey of life I'm on would continually bring honor and glory to him, so by using every opportunity; my mistakes, my successes, and my day-to-day adventures, he teaches me how to use it for his glory. This life he blessed me with is ALL about him! So, these are my thoughts, my heart cries, and my lessons from his glorious Word. These are the teachable moments from my Savior!

Psalm 25:4-5 "Show me your ways, LORD, teach me your paths. Guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long."

Friday, September 21, 2012

~ Teaching the Word to our Kids ~

I love our times of family devotions! In our house, the kids come in our room and all pile on our bed for a time in the Word. We all take turns reading verses of scripture and share what God is showing us. With the ages of our kids, 8, 11, & 16, I find it so special to hear what each one has gotten out of the devotion.  The innocence of Caleb, the mature beyond her years wisdom of Callie, and the evident spiritual growth of what is now the boy turned man in our home, Ben. They all amaze and inspire me! It truly blesses my heart to see their relationships growing with their Lord.


Early in our marriage, Matt and I made the decision to teach the Bible to our children as soon as we knew we were expecting.  I will never forget the eye opening experience of knowing that we would be responsible for the lives of other human beings. Responsible to make sure they were fed and cared for, to make sure they received a good education and stability in the home, but most importantly, and most humbling, was the responsibility that we were to instill godly principles in them. That was huge! God's Word was clear on our responsibility right here in Deuteronomy. 

"Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates." 
Deuteronomy 6:4-9

Every moment is an opportunity to show them Christ. As we ride down I-40, sit in the the doctor's waiting room, gather around the dinner table. So many opportunities to engage in conversation about the God of our lives. Parents, don't miss it! These incredible children that God has entrusted to us deserve the daily guidance in his Word. We are not to rely on the church, Sunday School teachers, or any other person to instill godly principles onto our children. It is our responsibility. It is our blessing!

Today, as you begin your day packing lunches and preparing for the final school day of the week, take the opportunity to share with your kids something that God has taught you from his Word. Share a blessing you had, a teachable moment from God, or even a mistake you made and how God used it in your life. Sit as a family and open His Word and watch the transformation and confidence in your kids that comes from a book like no other they will ever read. A book that is alive and active, useful for teaching and training, and equips them them for the road ahead.

"All Scripture is God‑breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work."
2 Timothy 3:16-17

What an honor those three precious blessings are to Matt and me. Knowing that God entrusted them to us is so mind-boggling sometimes because they are absolutely amazing. Ben, Callie, and Caleb are beautiful gifts from a loving God that deserve to be taught and directed in His ways and we count it an honor to share the love of Christ with them every day!

No comments:

Post a Comment