I'm amazed at how my Savior can take any and every circumstance around me to show me more about him. My prayer has always been that this journey of life I'm on would continually bring honor and glory to him, so by using every opportunity; my mistakes, my successes, and my day-to-day adventures, he teaches me how to use it for his glory. This life he blessed me with is ALL about him! So, these are my thoughts, my heart cries, and my lessons from his glorious Word. These are the teachable moments from my Savior!

Psalm 25:4-5 "Show me your ways, LORD, teach me your paths. Guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long."

Saturday, August 9, 2014

God Heals!


I sat in that little examining room yesterday reminiscing with Caleb's doctor over the last 7 years. Yes, it was almost 7 years ago that we first met this great doctor and he has been a huge part of Caleb's excellent medical care. We set Caleb's doctor appointment with him when we returned from China as Caleb had been born with a medical condition that needed monitoring. We didn't know this doctor, or anything about him at the time and the relationship our family has with him now is wonderful.

I remember first meeting him in late 2007 as he was brand new to UNC. His attitude was that Caleb was just a medical case. I didn't know how I felt about it but we moved on. In February of 2008 Caleb had his first biopsy and I remember talking to his doctor on the phone after that as he was going over the treatment options and just feeling that we didn't need to rush into any treatment at that time. Caleb had not even been home from a Chinese orphanage for a year yet and to rush into a treatment plan that was extremely harsh on his little body and only maybe 25% effective was just not something we felt was needed at that time. His biopsy wasn't bad but this doctor, without a lot of treatment options, was leaning towards just beginning the treatment. When I asked him if we could just have more time and get him the good nutrition he lacked for 3 1/2 years, he wasn't too happy with me and even threw the "if you don't follow my recommendation, I will have to call social services" at me. After a long conversation, I asked him for more time to pray about it and he agreed.

What began taking place after that moment was truly from God! Over the course of the next 3 years, the doctor’s attitude toward Caleb (and us) turned into such a caring provider for his patient instead of just a case file. Every time we would see him and get those long 45-minute ultrasounds and lots of lab work, he would show such care. We would share how we were praying for God to do a miracle in Caleb's body and if needed, open up a new treatment plan that would be more effective and less harsh in his body. He was on board, monitoring everything closely but holding out for other options when needed.

Well, just over 3 years ago after Caleb's third biopsy, it was evident that treatment would need to be done and this doctor fought for Caleb! He found a new treatment option, not even approved in children yet but highly effective in adults, that we could try. As nervous as Matt and I were, we felt such peace after praying over it that this was the route God was leading us. This wonderful doctor worked to find a pharmacy in our area that could even get the treatment and we found one, yes only ONE that could get it. With him and the sweet pharmacist pulling together, they got our insurance company to cover it! What would cost $900/month without insurance coverage only cost us a $35/month copay! Hallelujah! He set us up with lab work here every 6 weeks over the next 6 months to monitor so we didn't have to take the trip to UNC every time. He went over and above what he had to do.

God was at work!!

After a year and a half on the treatment, Caleb's medical condition was totally undetectable! When he called Matt on the phone to tell him, right before Christmas of 2012, they were both in tears!

When we returned last summer to see him, we told him that this is what we had been praying for. This was the work of God that so many people had been praying over our sweet Caleb. He had no other explanation, and though not a believer, he did not discredit the work of what could only be God!

So, where do we go from here?

Well, they aren't completely sure. Lol! Caleb's file has attracted another doctor into the mix as this is the first child patient they have treated with this medication and he is doing so well. This is all new to them as well so we keep on with treatment for a while so there is no risk of a relapse. But now we are only taking an annual visit for lab work, an ultrasound only every other year, and he may never need another biopsy! God is so good!

As we sat there yesterday, reminiscing over these 7 years, I praised God for putting us with this amazing doctor. Though it was a rocky start, now his interaction with Caleb is more than just a case file. He has watched Caleb grow since he's been home and has taken an interest in his life. We can see he genuinely cares and we are thankful for caring doctors! He answers my emails back immediately with any needs we have, but most importantly, he has seen the Great Physician at work in our sweet Caleb's life.

God can take any situation and use it for His glory! We will continue to trust God in all things and will proclaim his goodness to ALL we come in contact with! Though we don't know what tomorrow holds, we know WHO holds tomorrow!
I love seeing God at work!

"O LORD my God, I cried to you for help, and you restored my health."
Psalms 30:2 (NLT)

"O LORD, our Lord, your majestic name fills the earth! Your glory is higher than the heavens."
Psalms 8:1 (NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment