I'm amazed at how my Savior can take any and every circumstance around me to show me more about him. My prayer has always been that this journey of life I'm on would continually bring honor and glory to him, so by using every opportunity; my mistakes, my successes, and my day-to-day adventures, he teaches me how to use it for his glory. This life he blessed me with is ALL about him! So, these are my thoughts, my heart cries, and my lessons from his glorious Word. These are the teachable moments from my Savior!

Psalm 25:4-5 "Show me your ways, LORD, teach me your paths. Guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long."

Friday, September 14, 2012

~ Finding Rest For Weary Souls ~

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” 
Matthew 11:28-30

Ending an emotionally draining week is hard.  Usually by Friday people are making plans for the weekend and doing the happy dance.  But after a week when we relived traumatic events as 9/11, experienced deep sadness as more terror strikes in the world, and already have the weariness from daily life,  how do we begin a weekend to rejuvenate our souls?

Jesus' words here in Matthew 11 are very familiar to most of us. We quote verse 28 many times, but when you continue on,  Jesus is telling us here to take His yoke because it is easy and that His burden is light. A yoke, that he is referring to is a heavy wooden harness that is attached to a large piece of equipment that oxen would pull.  Jesus is telling us that the yoke that we carry; demands of life, sorrow, sin, etc., is extremely heavy, as this harness, but He is offering, to us, his yoke that is easy. His yoke provides peace, healing, and rest for our weary souls and is available to ALL!

As we begin our weekend, find comfort in the words of Christ here and go to him. He promises to give you rest as you turn toward him.  Give him your burdens. You've carried them for too long. He is offering you his yoke, which is easy, and his burden is so much lighter than the heavy burdens you carry around day after day. End this week in the precious arms of Christ and find rest!

No comments:

Post a Comment