I'm amazed at how my Savior can take any and every circumstance around me to show me more about him. My prayer has always been that this journey of life I'm on would continually bring honor and glory to him, so by using every opportunity; my mistakes, my successes, and my day-to-day adventures, he teaches me how to use it for his glory. This life he blessed me with is ALL about him! So, these are my thoughts, my heart cries, and my lessons from his glorious Word. These are the teachable moments from my Savior!

Psalm 25:4-5 "Show me your ways, LORD, teach me your paths. Guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long."

Saturday, March 5, 2011

~ Run ~

I have never been a “runner”, but when I began my weight loss journey 3 ½ years ago, I set a personal goal to run a 5K after reaching my weight goal. Matt and I started training in March of 2009 to run in the Burgaw Blueberry Festival 5K in June of the same year. I can honestly say that was one of the most difficult things, physically, I have ever done. Now keep in mind that I have also given birth twice, and that was still one of the hardest things I had ever done! lol! I had never been much of an athlete. I did cheerleading in school, but as far as running and real endurance sports, I steered pretty clear of those. So, I decided to challenge myself to run that 5K. My wonderful husband so sweetly offered to run with me and I was very grateful he did. So, that March, we laced up our running shoes and off we went. We started out doing a walk/run (more walk than run) and I can tell you that at the beginning, I thought there was no way that I could do it. I would get about ½ a mile and then have to walk. It was very frustrating for me, but we kept going. Everyday we would get out there and challenge ourselves to go a little bit farther. Well, finally got up to about 2 miles running! Was it still difficult? YES! but not as much as in the beginning. We were training our minds, as well as our bodies to keep going. We had our eyes on the goal of 3.1 miles and with perseverance, training, and determination we got there.

As I would run, scripture would go through my mind and it was a great time to recite those passages that God brought forth. One particular night, I had a moment of frustration on the road because I was struggling to keep going and I was about ready to “throw in the towel”. I began to think about Paul and his last letter to Timothy. As he sat in prison writing this last letter he was preparing for his death. Not a death of disease or tragedy, but of execution for following his Master. Now, I am in no way comparing my hardships with running with Paul’s persecution, but God did show me that no matter what hardships come my way, to finish what I’ve started and to finish strong. Paul’s letter was so intimate and passionate about keeping the faith, holding firm to the sound doctrine, and how to endure hardships. He encourages Timothy to find his strength in God’s Word and to tell the world. He was “passing on the torch”. What a treasure this must have been for Timothy from his mentor. The verse that I kept reciting was:

II Timothy 4:7 ”I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.”

Well, we did finish our first 5K and that was our goal! Were we the fastest? NO! But we finished what we set out to do and we finished strong! Praise God! Wherever we are in our lives, we are to finish strong! In our jobs, our marriages, our families, our ministries and our relationships, we are to lean on God to guide our paths. We will endure hardships, face persecution, and at times want to throw our hands up, but will we be able to say that we have fought the fight, finished the race and kept the faith? It seems as though we are all facing challenges right now. Whether they are personal, spiritual, physical or emotional, we all face them. Just as our Pastor preached this past Sunday, we WILL face trials, it is inevitable (James 1:2). But, God will see us through and it is through the journey of those trials where we can grow and strengthen our faith in our wonderful Lord. For many of us, we are going through a trial at this moment. What encouragement to know that we are not alone! Don’t give up! Just as our brother Paul finished strong in the race, we too can finish strong. I am praying this week that we will all run the race God has set before us, and with his strength and power, we WILL finish strong.

Hebrews 12:1 “Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.”

Blessings~aa

Allison

No comments:

Post a Comment