I'm amazed at how my Savior can take any and every circumstance around me to show me more about him. My prayer has always been that this journey of life I'm on would continually bring honor and glory to him, so by using every opportunity; my mistakes, my successes, and my day-to-day adventures, he teaches me how to use it for his glory. This life he blessed me with is ALL about him! So, these are my thoughts, my heart cries, and my lessons from his glorious Word. These are the teachable moments from my Savior!

Psalm 25:4-5 "Show me your ways, LORD, teach me your paths. Guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long."

Saturday, January 12, 2013

~ Biblical Parenting in an R-rated World ~


It is no big surprise that we have seriously declined in appropriate entertainment in this country.  Good wholesome movies, shows, and music are getting harder and harder to come upon and even cartoons have to be screened first before letting the kids loose.  I’m stunned at the things parents allow their kids to watch on TV and the music they’re allowed to listen to these days.  Lyrics and shows filled with disrespect for their elders, inappropriate relationships, vile language, immodest clothing, etc.  It is our responsibility as their parents to guard what goes into their minds through entertainment and also calls for some unpopular decisions to be made.  We had to make a tough decision just last night about a video game that we didn’t have peace about. After explaining it to our son, he was in agreement that it, in no way, was beneficial to him. Was he excited about it? No. But he respects our decisions. I am thankful that my children understand the tough decisions we have to make in our home as we follow in obedience to our Heavenly Father.  Though they haven’t always been thrilled about it, they understand that  “everything is permissible but not everything is beneficial” (1 Cor. 10:23). 

Even though it is getting harder to come across good entertainment venues, they are still around. We try to find movies and TV shows that promote wholesome family values and in a lot of cases, great spiritual insight. There are still movies that show respect for people and don’t have to be bleeped out every other word, entertainment that can just be fun. We see the wonderful benefits of these things and the impact it has on attitudes and behaviors.  Just last night, I was watching “Little House on the Prairie” with Caleb and I was moved to tears in just the first few minutes as not only wholesome values were being portrayed, but also strong biblical truths boldly expressed.  The values of families praying together, depending on God for their every need, and serving others by being the hands and feet of Christ.

It was a wake up call that really made me want to be more proactive in the things that are going into my children’s minds and also in my own mind. I want to be able to proclaim Philippians 4:8 boldly which says, “Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things.


This world is not G-rated anymore! As parents, we have such a brief time with our kids at home to be able to instill biblical, wholesome values in them.  Before we know it, they will be out on their own and we pray that the foundations we set will be ingrained in them in such a way that God is their source when questions arise.  When they are faced with temptations we pray they will have the courage to turn to God instead of what they saw on the mainstream media. When they look for relationships, we pray they find Christ-like qualities in people instead of celebrity looks or behaviors.  When navigating through the difficulties of life, we pray that they use God’s Word as their guide and not succumb to what the news media preaches.

Guiding our children in a dark world is not for the faint of heart.  It is a huge responsibility but also a great honor to direct our children in the truths of God’s Word. We are committed to going the distance no matter how challenging it becomes.  I pray that other parents choose to be unpopular. I pray that other parents will take a stand and be a true parent to their children instead of their best friend. I pray that other parents learn to say “no”, and I pray that other parents find the true joy of parenting in the example we have in our Heavenly Father.

We have one opportunity to parent these precious children! I want to make it count!

“Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one! You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength. “And these words which I command you today shall be in your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, when you walk by the way, when you lie down, and when you rise up. You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.”
Deuteronomy 6:4-9

No comments:

Post a Comment