I'm amazed at how my Savior can take any and every circumstance around me to show me more about him. My prayer has always been that this journey of life I'm on would continually bring honor and glory to him, so by using every opportunity; my mistakes, my successes, and my day-to-day adventures, he teaches me how to use it for his glory. This life he blessed me with is ALL about him! So, these are my thoughts, my heart cries, and my lessons from his glorious Word. These are the teachable moments from my Savior!

Psalm 25:4-5 "Show me your ways, LORD, teach me your paths. Guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long."

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

~ Overwhelmed at the Luncheon Meat Aisle ~


Saturday I needed to run to the store and get groceries for the week. Now, any other day this would be totally normal and routine but this particular day I was exhausted from an extremely draining week. You know those weeks that heading into it you have to prepare mentally, physically, and spiritually because your schedule is full with back-to-back appointments and the list of things to get done exceeds the paper you wrote it on? Yes, that was my week. Sleep was an afterthought for the week and my brain was on sensory overload from the amount of balls games we had attended and cheers were still echoing in the deep crevices of my tired mind.

So I awaken Saturday morning, still in a daze, but trek off to the store to stock up our groceries. I went with my sweatpants on, big sloppy sweatshirt, and no makeup. Yes, I was a sight to behold. But my husband reminded me that we live in Burgaw so I looked like royalty. Haha! I believe in some twisted way that was a compliment! Lol!

My first big mistake was that I went with no list! Oh my goodness! Allison at the grocery store without a list, in a sleep deprived state; with the cheer "P-U-M-P pump it up" still resonating in her brain from the homecoming game the night before, is a recipe for disaster. What was going to be a quick trip became a long overwhelming nightmare! I found myself roaming aimlessly from aisle to aisle unable to concentrate and just about ready to cry in front of the luncheon meat. I gave myself a pep talk and pressed on the rest of the way. I returned home to find Matt was waiting and ready to unload the car. He was probably wondering how he would find me when I pulled into the driveway because I had given him the dramatic recap on the way home. He was there in typical "wonderful husband fashion" and gave me a big hug, then took over and put the groceries away so I could regain some composure.

My day did get better! It was just one of those moments when you find yourself completely drained and nothing left to give. It is rare that I have these moments, and believe me, I am not proud of it, but it is also a huge reminder that when life gets overwhelming I need to just take some time and sit at the feet of my Master! Those are times to let others to take some of the load off and get on my face before Almighty God and allow his Spirit to fill me to overflowing again. When I find the stresses of life taking over, I have to stop and refuel on God's Word. If I continued to drive my car and ignore that fuel light that comes on to warn me I'm getting low on gasoline, then I'm going to run out of gas and my car will stop. The same is true for me! If I continue going and ignore the "low fuel light" within me, then I'm going to run out and find myself stopped in front of the luncheon meat, again, ready to cry over whether I need bologna or honey ham! Lol!

I am so thankful for my Heavenly Father! He so graciously picks me up and holds me tight when I'm overwhelmed. He places his big "daddy" arms around me and holds me tight as he whispers his promises in my ear; those promises in His Word where he tells me he loves me! He takes me to scripture that reminds me that He is my portion and He is everything I need to make it through the difficult days. He promises to never leave me. He reminds me to lay my burden on him and he will carry it for me.

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”
Matthew 11:28-30 (NIV84)

"My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."
Psalms 73:26 (NIV84)

"Let your unfailing love surround us, Lord, for our hope is in you alone."
Psalms 33:22 (NLT)

Oh, my sweet Father! How I love him so!

I don't know what you face today. It may sound strangely like my crazy day at the store or you may have your own twisted story to tell, but let me reassure you that God is there! He is waiting for you with open arms! He is ready to pick you up when you fall! He is ready to take each burden off your back and carry it for you. You just have to release it!

I am so grateful for a Father that loves me like that! In my weakness He is strong and I cannot fathom where I would be without him! I am so in love with him!

"I love you, Lord; you are my strength."
Psalms 18:1 (NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment