I'm amazed at how my Savior can take any and every circumstance around me to show me more about him. My prayer has always been that this journey of life I'm on would continually bring honor and glory to him, so by using every opportunity; my mistakes, my successes, and my day-to-day adventures, he teaches me how to use it for his glory. This life he blessed me with is ALL about him! So, these are my thoughts, my heart cries, and my lessons from his glorious Word. These are the teachable moments from my Savior!

Psalm 25:4-5 "Show me your ways, LORD, teach me your paths. Guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long."

Friday, November 23, 2012

~ A Break From Tradition ~

For those of you that know me well, going out on Black Friday shopping is a tradition. Not that I like buying a lot, but I love it for the sport of it. I know it sounds crazy but I actually enjoy getting out in the wee morning hours with my hubby and sisters, in the cold, standing in line talking to perfect strangers about what they are waiting for. The excitement buzzing through the stores as everyone looks for that perfect Christmas gift for their loved one.  Yes, there are always the crazies out there that give Black Friday a bad rap (like the ones in Walmart in our short 20 minute life-risking trip) but we make it fun! We laugh at the organized chaos, applaud as people get a good bargain they've waited for, and work as a team so everyone can get what they came for. We really make it memorable!

But,  this morning however, I sit here in the bed beside my exhausted hubby, and watch him sleep. Wow! How incredibly blessed I am that God brought him into my life 23 years ago. I love this man so much! This has been such a challenging year in a lot of ways for our family with Matt's extremely difficult work and travel  load, the health issues I dealt with, and God calling us into new directions in many areas.  It has been a year of surrender like never before! But I sit here and praise God for it ALL!

You see, if you've never experienced a valley, how can you ever truly appreciate the mountain tops? The valleys will come and it's during that time we can either draw closer to God and grow in him or we can turn away from God and succumb to the valley itself. Well, our family chose to draw closer to God and grow in ways that only God can receive the glory! The growing process is difficult, don't get me wrong, but oh so worth it because the end result is a deeper, sweeter relationship with our God! Hallelujah!

I chose, this year, to give up my traditional Black Friday shopping adventure as a time to focus on the blessings around me.  Our family has chosen a year of simplicity this Christmas. Yes, there will be gifts, but not as they usually are. We want to focus on the precious Gift that has been anchor for our family this year! I cannot even begin, on this blog post, to describe the amazing things God has inscribed deep into my soul this year! A year submersed in his Word and in deep prayer has been the greatest gift! He is doing a mighty work in our family and we want to exalt his name this Christmas!


“No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him”1 Corinthians 2:9

So, in the absence of traditional Black Friday shopping this year, I just want to
praise my God for the blessings around me. My wonderful husband who is truly the other half of me and leads our family in Christ;  my son, Ben, who has become a man this year in so many ways that I praise God for; my daughter, Callie, who inspires me with her insight and love for God;  and my sweet Caleb, who's perseverance over life's challenges encourages me to draw closer to God.

I love my family and I praise God for each one of them! I believe this Christmas will be one of our greatest because of the work of the Holy Spirit in our lives. There has been a huge work done, and still more to come, but I am confident that my God will receive all glory, all honor, and all praise because He alone is worthy! Wherever you lead, God, we will follow.......


"You're my cave to hide in, my cliff to climb. Be my safe leader, be my true mountain guide. Free me from hidden traps; I want to hide in you. I've put my life in your hands. You won't drop me, you'll never let me down."Psalm 31:3-5 (MSG)

No comments:

Post a Comment