I'm amazed at how my Savior can take any and every circumstance around me to show me more about him. My prayer has always been that this journey of life I'm on would continually bring honor and glory to him, so by using every opportunity; my mistakes, my successes, and my day-to-day adventures, he teaches me how to use it for his glory. This life he blessed me with is ALL about him! So, these are my thoughts, my heart cries, and my lessons from his glorious Word. These are the teachable moments from my Savior!

Psalm 25:4-5 "Show me your ways, LORD, teach me your paths. Guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long."

Saturday, January 4, 2014

Building Godly Marriages in 2014

Matt and I will celebrate 22 years of marriage next month! I'm so thankful for him and our marriage! But as great as our marriage is, believe me it is not perfect! Lol! One thing I have learned throughout these 22 years is that I've done a lot of things wrong (and will as the years go on). I have also seen what works and how a marriage grounded in God's Word is beautiful and everything God designed it to be. We strive daily to commit ourselves and our marriage to God and allow HIM to be our center. I love my husband so much. He is truly a gift from God! 

 I have seen so many marriages crumble around me and many this past year that have truly been on the verge of disaster. My desire is to see couples return to a godly design for marriage and see them put each other back as a priority.

I'm calling on married women all around to commit to building stronger marriages this year. For those ladies that are not married yet, go ahead a commit your future marriage to the Lord and to prayer now. 




"A wife of noble character who can find? She is worth far more than rubies. Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value.
Proverbs 31:10-11 (NIV)

Throughout the year I will be sharing some things I have learned in my own marriage. I am no expert...far from it. Lol!  These are some things that I know have worked and things that didn't (so you can steer clear ;). I desire to see marriages grow stronger in Christ this year. Whether you've been married one year or sixty years, whether you are engaged or just dating, marriage takes work. Granted, the work is not all hard, and believe me, can be quite enjoyable, but you have to make it a priority. 

Marriage was designed by God, which I would say is pretty important, so let's give it all we've got and commit it to God for HIS glory. 

Then the Lord God made a woman from the rib he had taken out of the man, and he brought her to the man. The man said, “This is now bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called ‘woman,’ for she was taken out of man.” That is why a man leaves his father and mother and is united to his wife, and they become one flesh.
Genesis 2:22-24 (NIV)


Today I will share some basic "dos and don'ts" that I have learned along the way as a wife:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here are the "Dos":

Tell him you love him often and at times he wouldn't necessarily expect it. 

Greet him at the door with a hug and smile when he gets home from work. 

Reserve the first hug and kiss for him when you get home (not the children). 

Cut the cord from your own parents and rely on him now. 

Tell him your proud of him. 

Offer grace frequently!

Forgive. 

Show him respect. 

Let him know you appreciate all he does for you and the family. 

Serve him before your children. 

Hold his hand in public. 

Pray for him. 

Pray over him. 

Read the Bible with him. 

Leave him love notes or texts messages throughout the day. (That can be fun! ;)

Hug him in front of your children (even a sweet kiss). 

Encourage him. 

Publicly praise him. 

Plan a spontaneous date for him without children. (Doesn't have to cost money...get creative!)

Serve him breakfast in bed on occasion. 

Laugh together. 

Dream together. 

Pray that God would make your heart and your marriage honorable before him. 

Tell him you would say "I Do" all over again!



And here are the "Don'ts":

Don't dote on your children more than your husband. 

Don't run to your parents (or someone else) for everything. 

Don't go to bed angry. 

Don't tell your friends private things that are between you and your husband. 

Don't keep a record of wrongs. 

Don't always share your bed with your children. (They have their own bed!)

Don't turn down a date offer from him to do something else. 

Don't talk about or "ooh and ahh" over other men (even celebrities). 

Don't put him down in front of your children or other people (even in a joking way).

Don't belittle him about the finances. 

Don't text or call other men friends.

Don't always go on double-date with other couples. You need one-on-one time with your hubby too. 

Don't nag him about the honey-do list. 

Don't override his say-so in front of your kids. Discuss matters privately. 

Don't give up! Marriage is a gift. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

These are just the beginning. There may be many more that come to mind. Let's put them into practice this year. 

Strong and godly marriages in 2014!!



"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres."
1 Corinthians 13:4-7 (NIV)


No comments:

Post a Comment