I'm amazed at how my Savior can take any and every circumstance around me to show me more about him. My prayer has always been that this journey of life I'm on would continually bring honor and glory to him, so by using every opportunity; my mistakes, my successes, and my day-to-day adventures, he teaches me how to use it for his glory. This life he blessed me with is ALL about him! So, these are my thoughts, my heart cries, and my lessons from his glorious Word. These are the teachable moments from my Savior!

Psalm 25:4-5 "Show me your ways, LORD, teach me your paths. Guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long."

Thursday, December 13, 2012

~ Raising a Generation ~


For most people, going to the grocery store is not the most exciting thing in the world and to be honest, it really isn't for me either. But, I do enjoy being able to shop for my family, plan meals, and be able to teach my daughter the art of shopping on a budget. This past Saturday I had the opportunity to go to the grocery store alone. I decided to take my time and just try to enjoy the experience. (Yes, I know it sounds pathetic! Lol!) I walked through the aisles checking labels and looking for the best bargains. I watched as people hurried through frustrated to be in there. I heard children screaming and saw moms exhausted looks on their faces. All in all, it was a typical modern day grocery store experience.

As I went down each aisle, I noticed all the new products that offer less work for the finished product. By that what I mean is, there are more and more products offered where there are less steps to reach the end result. We already know we are in the "smart" generation. There is a gadget for every situation that makes things more convenient. Now we are able to accomplish so many more things in our fast paced world and don't even have to put a lot of effort into it. We even have our Bibles on every phone, iPod, iPad or tablet and can just tap on the book we are looking for instead of flipping through those beautiful pages and know where each book is.

Now, I enjoy things that are convenient. I have a Bible on my iPhone and iPad that I use quite often and during the basketball months when we are seldom home, quick fix dinners are a necessity. But something that came to my heart during my shopping excursion was some sadness that as fast paced as this modern world has become, are we missing wonderful opportunities of teaching our children key life skills?

In raising my daughter, I want her to be able to know how to make dinner for her family one day. By "make dinner" I mean to be able to take real ingredients and measure, chop, sauté, and cook to come to the end result. Not just "add water". I want her to be able to read a recipe and follow it. I want her to be able to fix a thanksgiving dinner instead of order it. I want her to be able to enjoy those priceless moments of teaching her own daughter how to cook one day as I cherish with her and enjoyed with my own mother.

In raising our sons, I want them to be able to take care of their lawns, change the oil in their family cars, fix things around their homes, treat their wives with gentleness and love, and be the man of the house. I don't want them to have to call and pay someone to do those things for them just because we didn't take time to teach them. My husband had a wonderful example from his father that he is passing down to our sons and I am so grateful for that.

As God burdened my heart for this generation, I stopped and prayed. I prayed that we, as parents, would choose life skills instead of convenience. That we will teach our children that convenience is not always the best option. Doing MORE doesn't always mean being more productive. I want my children to know how to turn through those magnificent pages of scripture to find God's promises. I want my children to enjoy the process of doing something great for their families. I want my children to know the satisfaction of good, hard work.

I am thankful for the example in my mom and all that she instilled in me to take care of the needs of my family. I praise God for the blessing of children. What an incredible privilege we have to raise up this generation to be men and women of honor. We get to raise these precious children in the Word of God and instill in them a love for their Savior and the desire to care for their families. What a blessing!

I urge you today to make time and enjoy teaching your child a great life skill. Let's put convenience aside for a time and show our children how rewarding it can be to put some work into doing something in the home. In return, we get priceless moments with our children and something that could never have resulted by just "adding water".

"Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it."
Proverbs 22:6

"She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness."
Proverbs 31:27

"The one who works his field will have plenty of food, but whoever chases daydreams lacks wisdom."
Proverbs 12:11 (NET)

No comments:

Post a Comment