I'm amazed at how my Savior can take any and every circumstance around me to show me more about him. My prayer has always been that this journey of life I'm on would continually bring honor and glory to him, so by using every opportunity; my mistakes, my successes, and my day-to-day adventures, he teaches me how to use it for his glory. This life he blessed me with is ALL about him! So, these are my thoughts, my heart cries, and my lessons from his glorious Word. These are the teachable moments from my Savior!

Psalm 25:4-5 "Show me your ways, LORD, teach me your paths. Guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long."

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

~ A Lamp Unto My Feet ~


Matt and I have the privilege of teaching the 5th and 6th grade Sunday school class every other month. They really are a lot of fun and, I do have to say, very well behaved! This past Sunday we began teaching a series of lessons on the birth of Christ. I am so excited about this! We get to teach 40 young people about the greatest birthday that ever was! Wow! Now that is an honor!

This past week we taught the lesson where the angel, Gabriel, appeared to Mary and told her she was going to carry the Messiah, from Luke 1:26-38. A powerful lesson on how God has divine plans for our lives. We began discussing how we know what God's plans are for our lives. I asked the kids to open their Bibles as we were going to be reading several passages that were filled with promises of his plan for our lives. I shared with them how we can know the plans God has for us by reading his Word and spending time with him in prayer. God's Word is full of his promises for us and is our guide map for life!

What happened next really burdened my heart. Out of 40 children in the room, only about 10 had Bibles with them. Now, when I say Bibles, I am including Bibles on their iPods, iPads, Nooks, Kindles, etc.  I explained to them that Mr. Matt & Mrs. Allison will be in the Word! No ifs, ands or buts. WE WILL BE IN THE WORD! I asked them to bring their Bibles with them the next week and their were looks of shock on their faces. Every one of these kids has a Bible, because I asked and if they didn't I would bring them one. But they didn't see it as important to bring it to church.

This has burdened my heart all week. Parents, I'm speaking to you here. You wouldn't send your child to school without their books or send them to ball practice without their gear so PLEASE do not send your child to church without the Word of God! Remind them to get it before they leave the house!

The Word of God, to me, is like oxygen. I need it with me to survive daily living! Scripture plainly tells us just how powerful this precious Book is to us.

"For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any double-edged sword, piercing even to the point of dividing soul from spirit, and joints from marrow; it is able to judge the desires and thoughts of the heart."
Hebrews 4:12 (NET)

"Be prepared. You're up against far more than you can handle on your own. Take all the help you can get, every weapon God has issued, so that when it's all over but the shouting you'll still be on your feet. Truth, righteousness, peace, faith, and salvation are more than words. Learn how to apply them. You'll need them throughout your life. God's Word is an indispensable weapon. In the same way, prayer is essential in this ongoing warfare. Pray hard and long. Pray for your brothers and sisters. Keep your eyes open. Keep each other's spirits up so that no one falls behind or drops out."
Ephesians 6:13-18 (MSG)

I know, as a parent, that I don't want to send my children anywhere without being prepared for where they are going. When they go to school, they need books & pencils; when they go to ball practice, they need shoes & gear; and when they go to church, they need God's Word to help prepare them for battle in this evil world.

Let's commit to arm our children with the power of God's incredible Word and allow the Holy Spirit to stir their young hearts! Remind them on a daily basis just how important God's Word is. There will be things in our children's lives that we will have to limit such as TV, video games, texting, and music, but we will NEVER need to limit their use of God's Word! Let it infiltrate their lives and watch God move! Hallelujah!

"Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path."
Psalms 119:105 (NIV84)

No comments:

Post a Comment