I'm amazed at how my Savior can take any and every circumstance around me to show me more about him. My prayer has always been that this journey of life I'm on would continually bring honor and glory to him, so by using every opportunity; my mistakes, my successes, and my day-to-day adventures, he teaches me how to use it for his glory. This life he blessed me with is ALL about him! So, these are my thoughts, my heart cries, and my lessons from his glorious Word. These are the teachable moments from my Savior!

Psalm 25:4-5 "Show me your ways, LORD, teach me your paths. Guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long."

Tuesday, June 3, 2014

The simple things in life…


“The LORD will guide you continually, giving you water when you are dry and restoring your strength. You will be like a well-watered garden, like an ever-flowing spring.”
Isaiah 58:11 (NLT)


The simple things in life…

O, how I am enjoying the simple things right now. Seeing Caleb’s sleepy face as he walks in to greet me with a “Good morning, mom”; or Ben as he picks on his brother and sister in a way that can make them laugh; or Callie as her motherly nature takes over and she gets protective over her little brother walking through the woods; or my precious husband as he fixes his fishing poles with great anticipation of the next fish caught and sharing strategies with Ben. Drinking a cup of coffee while reading my Bible on the back deck that overlooks God’s magnificent creation.

Simple but most important!

I will be honest in saying that it took me a good 24 hours to get that feeling of; constant schedules, work to be done,  or calls to be made, off of me. I even woke up earlier than expected the morning we were to leave because I couldn’t remember if I had made a copy of something at work (which, I had) and I had to check it.

Make. It. Stop. Hahaha!

Then after we checked in the resort I immediately made out the grocery list and headed to the store, Wal-Mart nonetheless, came back and unloaded, took a quick walk with Callie, and back to cook dinner. I will say that this Wal-Mart was so much nicer than our Wilmington one. I didn’t feel the need for a bulletproof vest or the need to shower after I returned. It was clean, neat, and safe! Shocking…I know!

Routine…it is a hard thing to break, even if it is for a little while. It wasn’t until our family worship time Sunday morning as we all gathered in the outdoor amphitheatre (or outdoor chapel as I see it) with my husband opening the Word to share with us and hearing each of my children pray sweet prayers of thanksgiving for God’s Word and our family that I finally released the “norm”.

Yes, Allison, it is time to put the crazy, busy year behind you and really live in this moment of God and family.

This year was busy. It was crazy. It had me on my toes but at the same time on my face in surrender to God of all He had in store. So here I am, finally on vacation, after the numerous trips we had to cancel in the last year, it was finally here. Time to relax and enjoy and it took me 24 hours to detox. Lol! But I did it!!

We spent a beautiful afternoon at the pool and I watched my children play together and thanked God for the amazing bond the three of them have. I got to see my husband relax and enjoy reading a book and then join my whole family in the pool as we threw each other around and splashed and laughed. I got to enjoy an afternoon where there was no work brought home to be done. An evening exploration with Callie and Caleb where we walked and talked about all the beautiful things in God’s creation and just as each one grabbed my hand, I fell in love with those sweet masterpieces all over again. I watched my husband and teenage son stand on the bank of the lake and cast their fishing poles together, as they love to do, while the sun began to set.

Yesterday we explored again as a family. We took time to stop and “smell the roses” (okay we didn’t see any roses just a lot of horse poop on the trails and we did forego smelling that, but you know what I’m getting at here). Lol! We took time to explore God’s beautiful creation of mountain views, rolling hillsides, and grand trees in full bloom.  We also enjoyed playing putt-putt and other outdoor games, more pool time and I even had some one-on-one time with my amazing 17-year-old son as we talked about life and relationships.  Relaxing as a family, away from the busyness of life, and talking about God’s will for each of us and our family.

These moments right here….

You see, it’s not that we weren’t close before we came up here. We are a very close family and enjoy our times together. But when God allows you these moments to pause, away from your normal routine of life, they are not to be taken for granted. Live it to the fullest and grasp every breathtaking moment with your family.

I love my life. It is not perfect. It is messy sometimes. It is crazy a lot of times. It is busy all the time. My kids don’t always obey the first time and argue with each other. My husband and I aren’t always lovey-dovey. We do have “intense moments of fellowship” and days when, although, we love each other we don’t necessarily like each other at the moment. We can stress over the family finances sometimes. The chores don’t always get done. The house can get messy and I wonder if the health department will come shut us down. Lol! It is life…

But this is my life that God has allowed me to live; a life that through all the craziness finds solitude and contentment at the feet of my Jesus. It is there where all craziness subsides and His presence is all I need to go another day, to live life fully right where He has me, and to find joy in it all. God is not a god of chaos. He is a God of peace and when I’m in His presence, I find it. He takes the messy and makes something beautiful out of it!

I’m thankful for my crazy life! When I return from vacation at the end of the week, it will wind up again. But I’m going to enjoy the moments; these precious moments away from reality, in this beautiful nature setting, with my family and refresh my soul in God’s Word. This life is ALL for HIM! I desire to walk in His will and allow Him to lead me where He wants me to go. I won’t waste it!

It is time to be still and listen…to breathe God’s sweet aroma and let it fill my soul!

“Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth!”
Psalm 46:10 (NIV)

“You will keep in perfect peace all who trust in you, all whose thoughts are fixed on you!”
Isaiah 26:3 (NLT)







No comments:

Post a Comment