I'm amazed at how my Savior can take any and every circumstance around me to show me more about him. My prayer has always been that this journey of life I'm on would continually bring honor and glory to him, so by using every opportunity; my mistakes, my successes, and my day-to-day adventures, he teaches me how to use it for his glory. This life he blessed me with is ALL about him! So, these are my thoughts, my heart cries, and my lessons from his glorious Word. These are the teachable moments from my Savior!

Psalm 25:4-5 "Show me your ways, LORD, teach me your paths. Guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long."

Thursday, June 5, 2014

A Watchful Eye


I spent the afternoon at the pool with Callie and Caleb yesterday while my men recovered from a little too much sun the day before fishing on the lake. We had a great time! We enjoyed the pool and the hot tub! At one point Callie wanted to head down to the deeper section of the pool but Caleb was content up at the shallow end playing with some other kids. So, I told Caleb to stay put and I would be watching him. The pool was extremely crowded yesterday because the temperature was absolutely perfect. It was so crowded, in fact, that they were out of pool towels. As we went down to the other end, I kept my eyes constantly on Caleb. But with all the people in the pool there were times he couldn’t see me. He would emerge from the water and look around. I would wave my hand to let him know that I was watching and he would give me a big smile from behind his cute masked face. How he could see anything out of that mask, I don’t understand because it stayed fogged up most of the time and it seemed to be so tight that his top lip doubled its size. But he loved it and said it was perfect. Haha!

This went on for about 15 minutes as Callie and I splashed around the 5ft section figuring out ways to make our $1 noodles keep us afloat. It amazes me how those little noodles act as floatation devices. O, but I digress….

Anyway, a little later as I was drying off (without a pool towel, Lol!) I watched my kids playing together and constantly praised God for allowing me to be their mom. As they helped each other do handstands and cannonballs, I looked on in sheer joy as they had lots of fun. I loved seeing them enjoy life but was constantly keeping my protective eye on them. It was in that moment that my Father so gently reminded me of His watchful and protective eye over me, His child. Even as Caleb splashed around the pool and, at times, couldn’t see me; I never took my eye off him. It was only because of the barriers in the way that he couldn’t see me.

How many times have I felt the same way?

There have been times in my life where I would look around and feel as though God was not there, where I couldn’t sense His presence. But its in those moments when I have to dig deep to grasp hold of scripture that reminds me that God is always there with His watchful eye on me. Distractions get in the way and keep me from seeing Him fully. It is never that He loses sight of me. It is only when my view gets distracted. When I let go of the distractions and focus on His Word, I experience His presence and grace in such a beautiful way and His glory shines. O, what a magnificent sight HE is!

I love this Psalm and how it paints such a beautiful picture of God’s ever-watchful eye:

“I lift up my eyes to the mountains—where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth. He will not let your foot slip—he who watches over you will not slumber; indeed, he who watches over Israel will neither slumber nor sleep. The Lord watches over you—the Lord is your shade at your right hand; the sun will not harm you by day, nor the moon by night. The Lord will keep you from all harm - he will watch over your life; the Lord will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore.”
Psalm 121 (NIV)


Sometimes all it takes is a moment in the pool or some other place for God to remind me of His amazing promises. I’m so grateful of that truth. He is always there! He will never leave me! He watches over His children always and forevermore!

“Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.”
Deuteronomy 31:6 (NIV)


No comments:

Post a Comment