I'm amazed at how my Savior can take any and every circumstance around me to show me more about him. My prayer has always been that this journey of life I'm on would continually bring honor and glory to him, so by using every opportunity; my mistakes, my successes, and my day-to-day adventures, he teaches me how to use it for his glory. This life he blessed me with is ALL about him! So, these are my thoughts, my heart cries, and my lessons from his glorious Word. These are the teachable moments from my Savior!

Psalm 25:4-5 "Show me your ways, LORD, teach me your paths. Guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long."

Monday, May 20, 2013

~ Modesty in an Immodest World ~


I read a book over the weekend entitled, "I'm No Angel", and I have to say, it was inspiring! What a testimony this woman has and how open she was about her mistakes and also her desire to be a Proverbs 31 woman no matter the cost to her career.

In a day and age where every TV show, every movie, every ad, every commercial, every clothing line, and everything else we see promotes such a flirtatious and sensual marketing, it was so encouraging to read about one woman who gave up the whole "glamorous" life in the modeling world to honor God with her heart and body.

Let's be honest. Sex sells. Sad, but true and raising my children in this modern generation can be disheartening. I want to share my heart on this issue for those willing to read it and I pray that you will understand the burden on my heart and my desire to see us make a stand in purity and modesty.

I am a parent of a 16-year-old son, a soon-to-be-teenaged daughter, and a 9-year-old son (who can only think of his Legos right now) so I am speaking with complete honesty (and probably some controversy) BUT the matters at hand need attention.

Raising a teenage son in the Word of God to treat women respectfully and as beautiful gifts from God can be challenging when everywhere he turns he is faced with temptations. Women's clothing has taken a huge hit in the area of material....as in, there is much less of it and living in a beach community where girls bathing suits don't leave much to the imagination can leave teenage boys put in compromising situations. Everywhere he goes he is faced with skin and lots of it and if the skin is covered, it is by clothing so tight that it just looks as though the skin has been dyed. Praying he keeps his eyes focused on Christ and not on all the alluring sights is strong on our hearts.

What message are we sending to our sons when most of what they are seeing in their communities should only be viewed in the sanctity of marriage with their wife?

"Run from sexual sin! No other sin so clearly affects the body as this one does. For sexual immorality is a sin against your own body. Don’t you realize that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, who lives in you and was given to you by God? You do not belong to yourself, for God bought you with a high price. So you must honor God with your body."
1 Corinthians 6:18-20 (NLT)

On the other side of that, I want my daughter to respect the body that God has blessed her with and to be God-honoring with it. Finding clothes that are modest and don't expose so much of her innocent skin or such tight clothing that every curve is displayed to every male in sight is challenging but doable. Thankfully, she still leans on the overly modest side at this point, but I'm sure there will come a day when the temptation to wear skimpy or tight clothing and look "sexy" will rear its ugly head and as her mom, I will make the tough decisions and choose modesty. Her body belongs to God first and then, one day, her husband as they become one. I want her to look her best in a God-honoring way, not a sexy way.

"Charm is deceptive, and beauty does not last; but a woman who fears the Lord will be greatly praised."
Proverbs 31:30 (NLT)

So you see, I'm writing from both points of view. So what do we do?

We take a stand in what we wear first and foremost and we set the example in what modesty is for our children. We teach our children to honor God with their bodies and that special union of marriage. We make the hard and unpopular decisions on what our children wear and don't leave it up to their pre-teen and teenage hormonal minds.  I know scripture doesn't come out with exact terms of modesty and people's views will vary from what I believe. I’m not the expert on modesty and I'm not here to say that girls skirts have to touch the ground or that bathing suits should look like those from the Laura Ingalls' collection, I'm saying that the more we immerse ourselves in scripture and pray for God to guide us in areas of modesty, He will show us. He will guide our hearts and minds to what is pleasing to him.  Let’s choose beauty for Christ!

"Do not love this world nor the things it offers you, for when you love the world, you do not have the love of the Father in you. For the world offers only a craving for physical pleasure, a craving for everything we see, and pride in our achievements and possessions. These are not from the Father, but are from this world. And this world is fading away, along with everything that people crave. But anyone who does what pleases God will live forever."
1 John 2:15-17 (NLT)

"Don’t be concerned about the outward beauty of fancy hairstyles, expensive jewelry, or beautiful clothes. You should clothe yourselves instead with the beauty that comes from within, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is so precious to God."
1 Peter 3:3-4 (NLT)

I have battled for months about posting on modesty and withheld because of fear of offending anyone. It has burdened my heart for some time and after reading this book over the weekend I decided to share my heart. Reading about the effects of decisions in this young woman and seeing now her bold stance to live a life for Christ and desire to be a Proverbs 31 woman, I have renewed hope that we can make a difference in the lives of young people. You may not agree with me and that's ok. I'm not looking for approval and I'm not here to be judgmental. I'm just praying that others commit to pray and make the hard choices on modesty and purity. When all around us are the messages of "you have to look like this" or "the sexier the better" we, as Christians, need to be bold in our commitment to honor and glorify Him! Let’s teach and model for our children how to be God-honoring in how we dress and portray our bodies. I encourage women to read this book and share it with your daughters. Let's commit to pray and see God begin to change hearts and live lives pleasing to him! 

"And so, dear brothers and sisters, I plead with you to give your bodies to God because of all he has done for you. Let them be a living and holy sacrifice—the kind he will find acceptable. This is truly the way to worship him."
Romans 12:1 (NLT)


Preview the book, "I'm No Angel" by Kylie Bisutti on bn.com here.....

No comments:

Post a Comment