I'm amazed at how my Savior can take any and every circumstance around me to show me more about him. My prayer has always been that this journey of life I'm on would continually bring honor and glory to him, so by using every opportunity; my mistakes, my successes, and my day-to-day adventures, he teaches me how to use it for his glory. This life he blessed me with is ALL about him! So, these are my thoughts, my heart cries, and my lessons from his glorious Word. These are the teachable moments from my Savior!

Psalm 25:4-5 "Show me your ways, LORD, teach me your paths. Guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long."

Sunday, January 9, 2011

~ Cell Phones ~

One of the greatest, modern day inventions is that of the cell phone. It used to be a luxury to have a cell phone, but now almost every person has a cell phone, or smart phone. People are even doing away with their landline phones and going strictly to their cell phones. What did we used to do before we had these wonderful inventions? It’s hard to believe, but we would actually have to wait and talk to people in person, or on our home phone. Yes, yes I know, it’s hard to relive that suffering! Lol! Back in the day when I was a teenager, (okay, it hasn’t been that long ago) I would have to call my parents and check in from a pay phone or when I got to my destination and that was a little hard to do. They had no way to check in on me unless I called them. Now we have easy access to everyone. We can talk in the car, at the grocery store, and pretty much in the middle of anywhere. We don’t even have to talk! We can text, IM, email, Facebook and many other things right from our cell phones, or smart phones. What an amazing thing, I guess. You see just as we have the luxury of this great invention, it is made by human hands and does malfunction from time to time. You all know what I’m talking about; the dropped call right in the middle of an important conversation, the “dead” spots where there is no signal, and sometimes the “all circuits busy” message we can get. I call it a “frustrating luxury”.

Well, last spring Matt was in Mexico on business and didn’t have the greatest of signals on his cell phone. Matt and I talk several times a day, so it was difficult not being able to pick up the phone and call him whenever I wanted to talk to him. Though I knew he was okay, I missed our conversations and just hearing his voice. The times I answered the phone and he was on the line was so special and comforting.

I thought about the privilege we have to be able to talk to our Heavenly Father at any time and any place we choose. We never have to be concerned that he doesn’t have good reception, or run the risk of our call being dropped, or getting a busy signal. There are no roaming charges, expired rollover minutes or overage charges! Our contract with him never expires and never costs us a thing! We have a direct line and he is always there waiting to converse with us. When I was a little girl I remember the first time my Sunday school teacher told me that God had a phone number. I was so excited! I thought that she was going to give us the 7-digit number and I was prepared to write it down. Instead she gave us this reference in Scripture:

Jeremiah 33:3 “Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know.”

Okay, so it wasn’t a 7-digit phone number, but it all made sense! God is on the line! When we come to him with our requests, our hurts, our needs, our praise, and ourselves, he is there prepared to answer and tell us great things that we didn’t know! WOW! What wisdom and direction we get just by conversing with our Creator! There can be things in our lives that are out of our control; a family member with cancer, job decisions, family dilemmas, financial hardships, and many more, but we have the assurance that when we call, he is there! It is there where peace & comfort await and fellowship is sweet!

Call your Lord and talk with him! If you want a 7-digit phone number for God, just remember this, 772-9377. P-R-A-Y-E-R-S! He is on the line 24-7!

Have a blessed, conversation-filled week with your Lord!

Allison

No comments:

Post a Comment