I'm amazed at how my Savior can take any and every circumstance around me to show me more about him. My prayer has always been that this journey of life I'm on would continually bring honor and glory to him, so by using every opportunity; my mistakes, my successes, and my day-to-day adventures, he teaches me how to use it for his glory. This life he blessed me with is ALL about him! So, these are my thoughts, my heart cries, and my lessons from his glorious Word. These are the teachable moments from my Savior!

Psalm 25:4-5 "Show me your ways, LORD, teach me your paths. Guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long."

Saturday, January 15, 2011

~ Be Still & Listen ~

Life can be very busy! It seems as though, for all of us, things keep getting busier and busier and we are constantly going. Even now as I write this devotion I just put a load of clothes in the wash, got supper started, I can hear the joyful sounds of the kids fussing at each other, still have a science project to help finish, a Weight Watcher meeting to prepare for, and I can hear the dog at the back door ready to go out. What do I do? Laugh! Laugh at the chaos! There are days when I wonder what boredom is and how that would feel. But then reality sets in and I get back up and get busy. There is never a dull moment around here! I’m sure you all have stories like mine and you keep the candle burning at both ends. All these things are necessary parts to daily life, but are we still keeping God in the forefront of our day? This revelation came to “slap me in the face” as I went from task to task one day. I find, sometimes, that I am so wrapped up in getting the “necessary” things done that I remember that my time alone with God has been very shallow. My time with God is the most important thing that I need! He is a NECESSITY!

God has to take the lead in our lives. A life going from job to job, errand to errand, or even ministry to ministry without first conversing with God is a life that is setting itself up to fail. God is my strength! God is my LIFE! How could I put him on the “back burner” to fulfill my daily duties? Well I am not very proud to admit that I have been guilty of this from time to time. Just the other morning I awoke at my usual 5:00 and was ready to enjoy my quiet time with God. I went to the quietness of my living room, sat down, opened my Bible and then…my “to-do” list began going through my head. You know, making sure I had everything lined up for the day and appointments scheduled, etc. My time with God was being hindered by my “daily duties”. At that moment, I just had to stop and pray out to the Father to renew my mind!

Romans 12:2 “And be not conformed to this world; but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.”

I had to pray that God would take everything that was hindering my time with him and help me put it aside so I could concentrate and focus on what he had for me in his Word. That is just like my Abba Father, when you ask him to show up, praise God, he does! He showed me that in the busyness I call my life, that I needed to be still. Yes, be still when you are busy! It sounds crazy, I know, but this is what God’s Word says.

Psalms 46:10 “Be still, and know that I am God:”

It doesn’t say, be still when everything is done for the day and your “to-do” list has been completely checked off. It says, “Be still”, so be still is exactly what I did. You know what? My time with him that day was so much sweeter! Praise God! When I surrendered my time, my day, that very moment to him and let him saturate my heart, what a time of refreshing for my soul!

I urge you to do the same this week. During this time when schedules are overcrowded and you need about 4 more hours in the day, be still and know that He is God! What sweet fellowship there is with him when we will just be quiet and listen! He is life and breath and he deserves all of me so that I can live this life he has blessed me with!

Thank you Father for reminding me that you are always there and waiting to spend time with me! I will be still and know that you are Sovereign God!

Have a wonderful week and listen for the sweet whispers from our Awesome God!

Allison

No comments:

Post a Comment