I'm amazed at how my Savior can take any and every circumstance around me to show me more about him. My prayer has always been that this journey of life I'm on would continually bring honor and glory to him, so by using every opportunity; my mistakes, my successes, and my day-to-day adventures, he teaches me how to use it for his glory. This life he blessed me with is ALL about him! So, these are my thoughts, my heart cries, and my lessons from his glorious Word. These are the teachable moments from my Savior!

Psalm 25:4-5 "Show me your ways, LORD, teach me your paths. Guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long."

Monday, November 7, 2011

Happy Birthday Mom!

Her children arise and call her blessed;” Proverbs 31:28

Today is my mom’s birthday! What a very special day indeed! I have to say that I have the BEST mom in the whole wide world. Yes, Yes, I know I may be a little biased (lol) but she truly is the greatest!

In my 38 years of life (yes, I told my real age!) there have been many people that have had a great impact on my life. Teachers, coaches, Sunday school teachers, pastors, friends, family member, and mentors, but the one person that has had the greatest impact on my life has been my mom! I am the “baby” of the family and as my mom told me one time, I was the “surprise” that came after the four children she already had! Haha! I just keep reminding her that I made the family complete and how much better it became the day I was born! Lol!

As the baby of the family, I had a strong bond with my mom. You could definitely say I was a “momma’s girl”. I was her sidekick fully equipped with the matching outfits she would make for us. A special one that I remember is the green polyester skirts with brown polyester shirts donned with strawberries, oh and lets not forget my white knee socks! It was a fashion statement for sure! We were inseparable and from a very young age, I knew I wanted to be just like her when I grew up! She was beautiful, had the prettiest hands, and was always prepared for a hug just when I needed it. She could cook and clean and make each one of her five children feel so special and loved. She truly was the best!

As I grew and watched my mom, there was something extra special that I noticed about her. She had a joy that was unexplainable. You see she didn’t exactly have the easiest life. She took care of five kids (that she had in 8 years), took care of my dad (which was not easy), worked odd jobs when needed to help pay bills, and was always taking care of others by cooking meals or helping babysit. It was a tough job and there were days when she looked exhausted but there was something about her that gave her joy. I wanted that! I wanted to have that joy that she had. When I would wake up in the mornings, I would see my mom in the living room reading her Bible. That book must have been important if she spent time reading it with her crazy, busy life. I would hear good ol’ southern gospel music playing on Sunday mornings getting ready for church. Singing about God must have been important because she was always singing. We would go to church, so hearing about God must have been important because we were there every time the doors were opened. We would talk about God at home too so he really must be important. Then one day when my sister was talking about how Jesus saves us, I knew deep down in my heart that I didn’t really know this Jesus. My mom was the one who lead me to the Lord right there at home in her bedroom. That was it! My mom had Jesus too and that was the source of her JOY! It all made sense to me! Jesus is JOY! That day began a journey through life learning and growing in my relationship with God and I am so blessed to be able to continue sharing those special moments with my mom!

She lives a life full of glory for Christ that has impacted my life and others in so many ways. She is full of grace and beauty and gives of herself freely for the sole purpose of bringing honor to her God. She always puts Christ first, others second and does so with such joy that is infectious to all those around her. She is a strong woman of character and integrity, and her love for God shines brightly.

You see, when I said that she has impacted my life, I wasn’t kidding. Her testimony and faith in God have made me be a better person, a better wife, a better mother, a better friend, a better sister, and has given me a desire to grow even more in love with my God. Her life says it all…that it is all about GOD! That is what I want!

So today, I honor my mom and this special day that marks her birth. God blessed the world in many ways the day that Toni Sharon Sarver was born November 7, 1944. I thank God for allowing me to be her daughter and giving me a godly example to model. So, yes, the statement is still true; when I grow up I want to be just like my mom!

“Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all.” Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.

Proverbs 31:29-30

Happy Birthday, mom, and thank you for all that you are, I love you!

Allison

1 comment:

  1. What a great way to honor your Mama by sharing how she impacted your life and the lives of others for Christ. "Her children rise up and call her blessed."

    Happy Birthday, Mrs. Hales!

    ReplyDelete