I'm amazed at how my Savior can take any and every circumstance around me to show me more about him. My prayer has always been that this journey of life I'm on would continually bring honor and glory to him, so by using every opportunity; my mistakes, my successes, and my day-to-day adventures, he teaches me how to use it for his glory. This life he blessed me with is ALL about him! So, these are my thoughts, my heart cries, and my lessons from his glorious Word. These are the teachable moments from my Savior!

Psalm 25:4-5 "Show me your ways, LORD, teach me your paths. Guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long."

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

"Everybody Drink Water"

As a family of five, dining out can be a little pricey; so on the occasions that we do eat out it is a great treat for the family. With the cost of everything going up, Matt and I made a new rule that when dining out (since I am the master at “penny-pinching”) everyone would drink water. That, in itself, saves us about $10 and you know how I just love a bargain! Well, after one of Ben’s basketball games, we decided to take the family to Wendy’s for dinner. Yes, I know, fine dining, huh? Well, the kids were so excited not to be eating at home so Wendy’s was perfect for them. On the way there, they were going over the menu trying to decide exactly what they were going to eat. During all the buzz in the car, Caleb raised his hands in the air to get our attention and spoke up very seriously and matter-of-factly and said “Everybody drink water”. We all started laughing, but the mom that I am was very proud that he remembered the family rule!

A few days later, the words that my young son so boldly proclaimed that night kept going through my head, “Everybody drink water.” Have you ever been so thirsty that all you could think about was getting just a sip of water? Nothing could satisfy your thirst like a drink of water. It is clear, cool, and refreshing, and it just soothes the body. We all know the benefits of drinking water. It is necessary for keeping the body hydrated, maintaining your body’s metabolism, it is so important for brain function, and of course there are many more benefits.

I then began to think about the “Living Water”. This is what my soul thirsts for! Just as my body needs water to function, my soul longs for the Water that flows freely from the fountain of life.

Psalm 36:9 “For with you is the fountain of life; in your light we see light.”

I love the story of the Samaritan woman in John 4. Jesus, tired and weary from his journey, asked the woman at the well for a drink of water. She was confused that he, a Jew, would be talking to her. As he began to share with her about the living water, she began to think the water that he was speaking of could make her life easier. But you see, she was missing it. The water that Jesus was speaking of would be the drink that would satisfy the thirst of her soul, the water that would provide eternal life. This was Messiah!

John 4:13-14 “Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life.”

This is the water that will change the very foundation of her life! When I think about the times I get thirsty, physically thirsty, water is what I reach for to satisfy, but the times when my soul is dry and longing to be quenched, I go to the Living Water! He replenishes and rehydrates the depths of my soul and is necessary for me to function! What sweet, refreshing times with my Lord!

I encourage you this week to rehydrate your souls and drink from the springs of Living Water! I leave you with one last thought out of the mouth of my precious son, “Everybody drink water!”

Enjoy the rest of your week!

Allison

No comments:

Post a Comment