I'm amazed at how my Savior can take any and every circumstance around me to show me more about him. My prayer has always been that this journey of life I'm on would continually bring honor and glory to him, so by using every opportunity; my mistakes, my successes, and my day-to-day adventures, he teaches me how to use it for his glory. This life he blessed me with is ALL about him! So, these are my thoughts, my heart cries, and my lessons from his glorious Word. These are the teachable moments from my Savior!

Psalm 25:4-5 "Show me your ways, LORD, teach me your paths. Guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long."

Thursday, July 28, 2011

~ Be An Encourager ~

Have you ever thought about how your words, whether spoken or unspoken, affect another person? Well, it is no secret how much I love my family. I speak of them often and I thank God every second for the blessings I have in my husband and three kiddos. God uses them in a lot of my “teachable moments” and grows me in ways that stretch and reshape my life. I praise him so much for that!

My kids are fortunate enough to have both sets of their grandparents here in the same town. They get to see them quite a bit and that is such a treat for them. They also get the privilege to spend the night with them from time to time and be spoiled as grandparents love to do. I am so grateful for the time they have with their grandparents!

The other day, the kids spent the night with their grandparents and I called to talk to them. I love hearing each one of their sweet voices on the phone! When Caleb got on the phone the first thing he did was ask, “Are you having a good day at work, mommy?” Well, of course, that blessed my soul! Here my precious little 7-year-old is asking me how I am doing. It made me stop and think of how many times I get wrapped up in my own “things” that I forget about all the people around me who may just need a word of encouragement.

I am so blessed to be surrounded by a family of encouragers! We really try to find ways to encourage each other in our home. I love leaving my husband love notes in his car or suitcase as he travels and sneaking notes in the kids lunchboxes or under pillows. My husband is always quick to leave me a note or an unexpected text message just to tell me he loves me, my teenage son, Ben, will come through the kitchen as I cook and give his mama a big “bear hug” and say “love ya, mom”, my sweet Callie-boo writes me letters and even sneaks notes on my phone to tell me all the things she loves about her mom, and little Caleb, just smiles and says “I love you mom, you look beautiful.” What a sweet aroma to the soul!

As Caleb offered me that encouragement the other day, I wondered how many times I have missed an opportunity to offer that encouragement to someone in need. You know, our words can be a powerful thing, but also our lack of words can be just as powerful. I admit that there are times that I am so distracted by life that I have missed an opportunity to be the word of encouragement that a person needs. Sometimes it could be as easy as just stopping, paying attention, and offering a smile. Think of a time when you were having “one of those days” and someone encouraged you. Think of how that brightened your day! We can all be encouragers and take after the Master Encourager, Jesus! He has given us a whole Book of encouragement and we can share that with others!

We are in a day and time when tough times seem to be the “norm”, but what power we have to make a difference in the lives of others. That power is the gift of encouragement!

Proverbs 12:25 “Anxiety weighs down the heart, but a kind word cheers it up.”

I have been challenged this week to be more aware of times that I need to encourage others. I thank God for his sweet gift of my family and their encouragement but I also thank him for reminding me to love others through my encouragement. He has set the example by loving me so much and I want to imitate that love and encourage others!

Ephesians 5:1-2 “Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.”

So as we begin our day, may we all be encouragers and love those in our paths!

Blessings~

Allison

No comments:

Post a Comment