I'm amazed at how my Savior can take any and every circumstance around me to show me more about him. My prayer has always been that this journey of life I'm on would continually bring honor and glory to him, so by using every opportunity; my mistakes, my successes, and my day-to-day adventures, he teaches me how to use it for his glory. This life he blessed me with is ALL about him! So, these are my thoughts, my heart cries, and my lessons from his glorious Word. These are the teachable moments from my Savior!

Psalm 25:4-5 "Show me your ways, LORD, teach me your paths. Guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long."

Thursday, May 5, 2011

~ Bearing Fruit ~

One of the greatest mission opportunities that I have been involved with is our “Operation Inasmuch” here at SHBC. It is a one-day community blitz where the church goes out into the community to be the hands and feet of Jesus.

Matthew 25:40 “And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.”

A couple of years ago as we were participating in this one day mission blitz, we were able to do some yard work for a very sweet lady. She had a beautifully landscaped yard and it was in need of a little TLC, so we donned our gloves and hedge clippers and headed out! One of the jobs we needed to do was put out some fresh pine straw and remove any old, dead bushes. Someone asked where the dead bushes were and she said that we would definitely notice them in the bunch. Well, she was right. In the middle of all those beautiful bushes and trees were two bushes that were dead. No leaves, dry, brittle branches, yep! They were dead. We took an ax and started at the bottom. As we pulled on the branches to bring it out of the ground, they just started breaking off. What an eyesore to such a serene setting. They were of no significance to that setting because they did nothing. They could not produce any flowers or leaves and they just caused the others to seem dull. Once we removed the dead bushes, the landscape was once again a place of serenity and beauty. The same is true with our lives.

John 15:1-2 “I am the vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful.”

Are our lives producing fruit for the Savior? Jesus’ words here distinguish between those lives that are producing fruit, they will be cut back to promote new and more fruitful growth, and those that bear no fruit, they need to go. They will be cut off at the trunk. Ouch! This is serious stuff! I want a tree that is beautiful and bountiful with fruit! Sure those times that God prunes my branches can be painful, but oh so necessary to strengthen my character and promote new growth that will bring him glory. Those that choose not to follow and lead unproductive lives will be cut off in order to keep the rest of the tree from being infected. How do we produce this fruit for him?

John 15:5 “I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.”

We need to remain in him. There is no way to produce fruit without him. We have it plain and clear and I am so grateful that he guides me and shows me everything I need. His Word is my source of guidance! I choose this day to follow and obey my Savior, to produce fruit that is sweet and pleasant for him.

Blessings~

Allison

No comments:

Post a Comment