I'm amazed at how my Savior can take any and every circumstance around me to show me more about him. My prayer has always been that this journey of life I'm on would continually bring honor and glory to him, so by using every opportunity; my mistakes, my successes, and my day-to-day adventures, he teaches me how to use it for his glory. This life he blessed me with is ALL about him! So, these are my thoughts, my heart cries, and my lessons from his glorious Word. These are the teachable moments from my Savior!

Psalm 25:4-5 "Show me your ways, LORD, teach me your paths. Guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long."

Thursday, May 28, 2015

Conversations With a Kind Soul

I went to my favorite little grocery store this afternoon and as I walked up and down the aisles I frequently passed an elderly man shopping as well. He looked pretty rough and smelled as though he had been working hard out in the heat but he was intently shopping up and down the aisles. On one particular aisle, I noticed his lost look as he glanced through the spices and that's when I heard him say,

"Ma'am, can I ask you a question?"

I politely turned to him and said, "Absolutely!"

He proceeded to ask me about what kind of spices he needed to fix something in his crock-pot. He couldn't even think of what it was but after listening to him describe it; I concluded that he was wanting to cook a roast. We chatted about cooking pot roasts and I showed him some things I use for mine. He began sharing a bit of his story with me of being recently divorced and now alone trying to figure out how to fix all the good foods he loves. He was a sweet soul and I was blessed to share a few minutes in conversation with him.

It reminded me that we can be so busy in our own worlds that we forget about those hurting all around us. People we pass in the grocery store, see at the coffee shops or doctors offices, those who pump gas beside us at the gas stations, well, they all have a story. Sometimes just a smile and a kind word is all it takes to make someone's day. Sometimes it may take a few minutes of our time to stop and let a person know that they are important by engaging in conversation. I am thankful for that reminder today.

In a world that is turning darker by the minute, I was blessed to share a few minutes of "Light" with an elderly gentleman on the spice aisle of my little grocery store. There is nothing sweeter than talking about my Jesus and sharing the hope that only He can offer. I left the store today with a heart overflowing in praise to God for His divine appointments. He is so good!

"Gracious words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."

Proverbs 16:24 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment