I'm amazed at how my Savior can take any and every circumstance around me to show me more about him. My prayer has always been that this journey of life I'm on would continually bring honor and glory to him, so by using every opportunity; my mistakes, my successes, and my day-to-day adventures, he teaches me how to use it for his glory. This life he blessed me with is ALL about him! So, these are my thoughts, my heart cries, and my lessons from his glorious Word. These are the teachable moments from my Savior!

Psalm 25:4-5 "Show me your ways, LORD, teach me your paths. Guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long."

Monday, December 13, 2010

"SHOOFLY"

Isn’t it very annoying when you sit down to eat and there is a fly just buzzing all around your food? After I went to the grocery store one night, I left the front door opened a little too long unloading groceries and I let a fly in. Now, flies are one of the nastiest varmints alive, and when seen in my home; don’t have a very long life span. Flies love to land on your food and I don’t want to even think of where that fly had its last meal. All I know is that they are disgusting and carry filth that is transferred right onto our dinner. Last summer, Ben and Callie had a lot of fun trying to get a fly that had entered our home. He was very pesky and they got a work out trying to swat him. It took so long in fact, that they named him, “Peter”. Why “Peter”, you ask? I have no idea! Leave it to my children to come up with that! Ha-Ha! Well, “Peter” eventually lost the battle to the wonderful “fly swatter” but many of “Peter’s” friends and relatives have come and gone. Such a nuisance! We now have 2 fly swatters in the house to doubly attack those pesky, little creatures.

I started thinking about the verses in I Peter 5:8-9. “Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith…”

We have to be alert at all times! Satan is looking for our vulnerability to attack! He reminds me of that little pest that buzzes around but we have to stand firm in our faith. If we lose our focus on Christ, Satan can land right on us with all that filth and disease that he carries and make us “sick”. SHOOFLY!!!! As we stay self-controlled, alert, and firm in our faith; we can use our giant “swatter” and wipe him out. God has given us everything we need to swat him out. He has given us direct access to him 24/7 (Eph. 6:18 “And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints.”) and his Word that is alive and active (Heb. 4:12 “For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword…”). Both of these are great weapons in the godly arsenal that we have been armed with!

My prayer this week is to be alert and focused on my Heavenly Father! That is where peace abounds and where we can flee the devil!

Have a blessed and “varmint-free” week!

Allison

No comments:

Post a Comment