I'm amazed at how my Savior can take any and every circumstance around me to show me more about him. My prayer has always been that this journey of life I'm on would continually bring honor and glory to him, so by using every opportunity; my mistakes, my successes, and my day-to-day adventures, he teaches me how to use it for his glory. This life he blessed me with is ALL about him! So, these are my thoughts, my heart cries, and my lessons from his glorious Word. These are the teachable moments from my Savior!

Psalm 25:4-5 "Show me your ways, LORD, teach me your paths. Guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long."

Saturday, January 23, 2016

Cleaning Our Messy Pots!

One of the things I treasure as a busy mom is my crock-pot. Many of you moms out there probably shouted, “Amen” on that and we high-five each other every time we share a new crock-pot recipe. I mean, does it really need explaining? You put your ingredients in this big pot in the morning and set it for 6-8 hours on low and later that evening when you’re ready to eat dinner, it is done! All in one pot! The recipes are endless. Some are 5 ingredient, some are several more and, one of my favorites is just 2 ingredients…yes you read that correctly…just TWO ingredients and then throw some rice on later and you have a quite satisfying meal. It really is an essential appliance in a kitchen.

Okay, if you’re wondering, No, I am not selling crock-pots or getting commission for advertising for the crock-pot people or anything like that. Lol! I just tend to get very excited when I speak about something I am passionate about.

But here is the draw back (if there is one!)

When you’re finished with your meal there is the one headache that is left…. cleaning the crock-pot. Now in our home, our kids all have their designated chores aside from the usual cleaning their room and bathroom. Ben is on trash and lawn, Callie is on kitchen and Caleb is on all laundry folding and distributing. There are the other chores like dusting, vacuuming, mopping and such but they are equally distributed when the need arises. Mom and dad help out too but these are their designated chores.

After a crock-pot meal, my sweet daughter likes to soak the pot. Good idea, right? Well, sometimes this pot can soak for a few days before it gets tended too. Otherwise known as…”I procrastinated as long as I can but now I have to face it.” She says it is heavy and all that stuff you have to scrape off that stuck to the sides is just nasty. Well, I have to agree with her on that! I’ve had to jump in there and help her at times and when it’s all done, you have a squeaky-clean pot ready for its next use!

(Yes, they make crock-pot liners and we have used them but more than not, we don’t. Old fashioned, I guess.)

I thought about our crock-pot scenario as I was praying over a situation I needed to deal with. I had been in soaking mode for several days not wanting to deal with it. After a few days of praying over it, I knew what I needed to do but still just let it sit there and soak. You know, hoping it would magically clean itself like the crock-pot?

Well, I finally decided to grab my scrub brush and deal with it. What beauty it produced! Not only did the situation get resolved but afterwards my “pot” was clean and grime-free. All that stuff stuck to the sides was removed as I allowed God to clean away all the messiness through obedience to His Word and trusting His plan.

So many times in life we will face situations that leave mess and grime stuck all over the sides of our pot; the mess that only obedience to the Word of God and trusting His plan can scrape off. Sure we can soak it a few days as we spend time in prayer and many times we need to do that. But we eventually have to face the situation and allow God to scrub away the unpleasantries as we submit to His will. What beauty results in that process! A pot cleansed and ready to produce another satisfying product. All for the glory of God!

So, today, on this wintery cold day, as you reach for your crock-pot, remember the beauty that God can bring out of cleansing the messy, sticky places of our lives. We don’t want to soak in the mess; we want to shine for HIM!

“Cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean; wash me, and I will be whiter than snow.”
Psalm 51:7 (NIV)

“Create in me a clean heart, O God, And renew a steadfast spirit within me.”

aPsalms 51:10 (NKJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment