I'm amazed at how my Savior can take any and every circumstance around me to show me more about him. My prayer has always been that this journey of life I'm on would continually bring honor and glory to him, so by using every opportunity; my mistakes, my successes, and my day-to-day adventures, he teaches me how to use it for his glory. This life he blessed me with is ALL about him! So, these are my thoughts, my heart cries, and my lessons from his glorious Word. These are the teachable moments from my Savior!

Psalm 25:4-5 "Show me your ways, LORD, teach me your paths. Guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long."

Monday, February 17, 2014

President's Day


If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.”
II Chronicles 7:14
Well today is President’s Day. It is actually the celebration of Washington and Lincoln’s birthdays but has turned in to honoring all U.S. Presidents. This year we don't even get to enjoy the day off of school but some businesses are closed. There are usually no big celebrations or parades that happen on this day unless you count big President’s Day sales and for some, they really do enjoy that! Lol!
But as I think about these two presidents that this day was named for, I find myself with such a feeling of respect for both of these men. Both were monumental in their service to this great country but even more to me was their great service to Almighty God. It is no big secret that this country is currently without a president that is devoted to our Lord and that is so disheartening to me. Our country desperately needs a leader that is 100% sold-out for Jesus Christ! Can I get an Amen?
I read a novel about the life and faith of Abraham Lincoln a couple of years ago. Of all U.S. Presidents, this great Patriot and the life he lived have always fascinated me. I knew Lincoln had a strong faith in God because it was evident in many of his speeches, but what really intrigued me was the testimony he had to others that were so close to him that recounted of the extent of his love for his Savior and his Word. The Word of God was so important to Lincoln and he used it as his guide map for life. He referred to the Bible quite often personally and publically. It was his source of leading this great nation but also his daily life.

“The character of the Bible is easily established, at least to my satisfaction. It is a good book for us to obey-it contains the Ten Commandments, the Golden Rule, and many other rules which ought to be followed. No man was ever the worse for living according to the directions of the Bible.”
Abraham Lincoln

It is no secret of the great desire I have for reading God’s Word and I find myself completely captured by the words inspired the Holy Spirit. This precious Book really is that important, I cannot stress that enough to you! In reading this great novel about our 16th President, I found several quotes that he used in reference to his love for God, but this one particular quote showed just how much God’s Word meant to him.

“In regard to this Great Book, I have but to say, it is the best gift God has given to man. All the good the Savior gave to the world was communicated through this book.”
Abraham Lincoln

He “got it”! This great President knew God’s Word probably better than any other President and he was not ashamed to live it out. He knew the importance of God’s Word and its transforming power as it was given to him at a dark time in his life. It became his source of comfort! His son, Robert, recalled that when his father became older, he always had a Bible close to him because it continually brought him comfort.

Praise The Lord for this man of God! Today, as we celebrate President’s Day, we may find ourselves disheartened at the current leadership and the lack of godly standards, but let us hold to the great faith of those gone before us that really knew the power and love of our awesome Lord! May we learn from them what is really important. Let a revival in this nation start with us! May we love and cherish this precious Book so much that it becomes infectious to all those around us! Many times we complain that God’s Word is not being given the place of honor in our nation that it deserves but how many times do we let it sit on our bedside tables and be neglected. Yes, a little dose of reality, my friends. Please know that I am not saying anything that hasn’t already been convicted on my own heart. This precious Book is to be read, studied, prayed over, and applied to our lives. God’s Word, in our very hands! Glory, hallelujah!

Let’s pray for our leaders that they “get it” as well! We can’t change their hearts but our Mighty God can!

“But for the Bible we could not know right from wrong. All things most desirable for man’s welfare, here and hereafter, are to be found portrayed in it.”
Abraham Lincoln

May this President’s Day be looked upon differently than you ever have. Let this be a day when we recommit to our God to hold his Word in high regard and follow its instruction so that revival will come!

II Timothy 3:16-17 “All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.”

Blessings~
Allison

No comments:

Post a Comment