I'm amazed at how my Savior can take any and every circumstance around me to show me more about him. My prayer has always been that this journey of life I'm on would continually bring honor and glory to him, so by using every opportunity; my mistakes, my successes, and my day-to-day adventures, he teaches me how to use it for his glory. This life he blessed me with is ALL about him! So, these are my thoughts, my heart cries, and my lessons from his glorious Word. These are the teachable moments from my Savior!

Psalm 25:4-5 "Show me your ways, LORD, teach me your paths. Guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long."

Friday, November 19, 2010

"Onward Christian Soldiers"

Caleb is really enjoying 1st grade! In just this short amount of time he has learned so much and come such a long way. He loves to go to school! Every morning he wakes up and asks if he gets to go to school. Yes, yes I know, give him a few more years, and he will be asking if he HAS to go to school, but for now we are glad he enjoys it! One morning I was helping him brush his hair as we were heading out the door and he was singing the song “Onward Christian Soldiers.” He learned this at school as they sing it every day after they say the pledge to the Christian flag. When he sang it, I could not get that tune out of my head and I found myself singing it in the car or washing dishes. Intrigued, I looked up the story behind this classic hymn and found out that it was written in the late 1800’s by a pastor who wrote it in a very short amount of time. During that time, there was a festival called Whit Monday where the children would walk from village to village with crosses and banners. Well, Pastor Sabine Baring-Gould wanted the children to have a song, or hymn, to sing as they walked to encourage them. He sat down the night before and wrote this hymn in about 15 minutes. He later apologized saying that he wrote the hymn in great haste and that he thought some of the rhymes were “faulty”. Can you believe that? Of course, this song has become such a classic Christian hymn today. Here are the words to the song:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Onward, Christian soldiers, marching as to war,
With the cross of Jesus going on before:
Christ the royal Master leads against the foe;
Forward into battle, see, His banner go.

At the sign of triumph Satan’s host doth flee;
On, then, Christian soldiers, on to victory!
Hell’s foundations quiver at the shout of praise;
Brothers, lift your voices, loud your anthems raise.

Like a mighty army moves the Church of God;
Brothers, we are treading where the saints have trod.
We are not divided, all one body we-
One in hope and doctrine, one in charity.

Onward, then ye people, join our happy throng;
Blend with ours your voices in the triumph song.
Glory, laud and honor unto Christ the King -
This thru countless ages men and angels sing.

Onward, Christian soldiers, marching as to war,
With the cross of Jesus going on before!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Powerful words! I thought about Paul’s first letter to Timothy as he encouraged him and gave him instruction. What a great friendship they had and Paul gave him such godly advice that is so valuable to us as well. He reminds him to keep fighting the fight for Christ.

I Timothy 6:11-12 “But you, man of God, flee from all this, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance, and gentleness. Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called…”

We are Christian soldiers and in this day and age marching in “war”. We do have the cross of Jesus before us as the Royal Master leads us against the foe. As Paul encourages Timothy to fight the good fight of the faith, we too should continue fighting. We are in the “battlefield” but Christ is on our side! As begin our weekend, may we be encouraged in God’s Word when struggles abound. May we go into “battle” armed with his Word and a strong prayer life so that the enemy will be defeated! Our lives are to pursue righteousness and godliness in all we do!

I am so thankful to be a child of God! I am amazed every second at his love for me and I count it an honor to go into battle for him because he is the reason I live! So my prayer for you this weekend is to move onward all you Christian soldiers and fight the good fight of faith! Blessings will be eternal!

Enjoy your weekend!

Allison

No comments:

Post a Comment