I'm amazed at how my Savior can take any and every circumstance around me to show me more about him. My prayer has always been that this journey of life I'm on would continually bring honor and glory to him, so by using every opportunity; my mistakes, my successes, and my day-to-day adventures, he teaches me how to use it for his glory. This life he blessed me with is ALL about him! So, these are my thoughts, my heart cries, and my lessons from his glorious Word. These are the teachable moments from my Savior!

Psalm 25:4-5 "Show me your ways, LORD, teach me your paths. Guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long."

Saturday, December 6, 2014

A Depleted 'Mom' Tank and A Teachable Moment


There are times as a parent when I am just spent! I'm sure all you parents reading this can understand where I'm coming from. 

During one of those particular weeks not too long ago, God showed me just how blessed I am by those precious children he entrusted me with! The schedule of the week had us home late every night running from activity to activity and, of course, it was a week when my husband was working out of town (or out of the country, I don’t remember. Lol!). But, its just LIFE and you do it! 

Well, one morning as we were about to leave for school I had a “moment”…. a moment where God allows you to see that even in those draining instances of parenthood, everything will be okay.

Caleb had been having tough time that year. School had been very challenging for him and he was becoming more of a daddy's boy, which made it even harder because his dad had been traveling quite a bit. During our bedtime routine the evening before, he was a little weepy because he was missing his dad a little more than normal. Well, me being "mother of the year" kissed him goodnight and told him to go to sleep. It was one of those days when, as a mom, I was completely drained. I had nothing else for the day and I was ready to get in my king-sized bed and go to sleep. My compassion tank was empty!

When we were about to leave for school the next morning, Ben came downstairs looking very tired. I hugged him and asked if he was all right and he just said he was sore and didn't sleep very well. I assumed it was from playing so hard in his game the night before but what he told me next brought me to tears.

He proceeded to tell me that after I left their room that night, Caleb was still crying so he just took his pillow and slept on the floor beside Caleb's bed to comfort him. Wow! Talk about a dagger through my uncompassionate heart! My 6 ft. tall, teenage son, after a long day of school, ball games, and homework, slept on the floor in the tiny space between his bed and his little brother’s bed so he could console him. I was touched by his selfless act of compassion.

God reminded me in that moment what a blessing Ben is! I was so proud and humbled by him and his tender heart! It was a glimpse of the man he is becoming and how God is using him in a mighty way. God used my depleted tank to show me that He will provide the needs of each one of us! He is using my children in mighty ways and I am incredibly blessed by their compassion for others and their obedience to the Holy Spirit's prompting in their lives!

What an amazing God! 

"Don't you see that children are God 's best gift? The fruit of the womb his generous legacy? Like a warrior's fistful of arrows are the children of a vigorous youth. Oh, how blessed are you parents, with your quivers full of children! Your enemies don't stand a chance against you; you'll sweep them right off your doorstep."
Psalm 127:3-5 (MSG)

No comments:

Post a Comment