I'm amazed at how my Savior can take any and every circumstance around me to show me more about him. My prayer has always been that this journey of life I'm on would continually bring honor and glory to him, so by using every opportunity; my mistakes, my successes, and my day-to-day adventures, he teaches me how to use it for his glory. This life he blessed me with is ALL about him! So, these are my thoughts, my heart cries, and my lessons from his glorious Word. These are the teachable moments from my Savior!

Psalm 25:4-5 "Show me your ways, LORD, teach me your paths. Guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long."

Friday, August 1, 2014

Think on these things...


Callie and I visited the bookstore the other day as she wanted to pick up some new reading material. She had a particular book in mind and we had looked up reviews but didn't find anything that seemed questionable. So, she made the purchase and later in the evening started her book. After a little bit, she came downstairs with the book to tell me that she got to the second chapter and felt, from the language, that she shouldn't be reading it. She offered to pay me back and apologized. Sweet girl! But I told her to put it back in the bag and we would see if we could return it for another book. We talked about it and she explained that she just didn't feel right reading it. Though the book was funny, she knew that wasn't something she should be putting into her mind. Wow! Praise the Lord!

I was so proud of Callie for recognizing that what she was reading wouldn't be pleasing to the Lord and putting it aside. It's hard for us adults to do that sometimes. I pray that each of my kids follow the prompting of the Holy Spirit when it comes to things they watch or read because in this day and time, the bad stuff is so easy to come by. There will be obstacles at every turn and it will get harder to do the right thing. It was a lesson for me as well to always pray before reading or watching something and to have the courage to walk away when the Spirit leads.

Today, I praise God for discernment through his Holy Spirit and for his Word that gives clear guidance and direction on anything we put into our minds. God's Word says this:

"Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise."
Philippians 4:8 (NLT)

I pray that Callie (and all my kids) will continue to listen for that still small voice that will lead her in the way she should go. God desires first place in our lives and it is there where peace abounds. We need to stay in scripture to know what is true and spend time with God through prayer as he directs our paths.

"Do not be conformed to this present world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may test and approve what is the will of God – what is good and well-pleasing and perfect."
Romans 12:2 (NET)

Lord, give us the courage to do the right thing as the Holy Spirit prompts our hearts even though it may not always be the popular choice. Renew our minds afresh to your will and fix our eyes on that which is pleasing to you!


No comments:

Post a Comment