I'm amazed at how my Savior can take any and every circumstance around me to show me more about him. My prayer has always been that this journey of life I'm on would continually bring honor and glory to him, so by using every opportunity; my mistakes, my successes, and my day-to-day adventures, he teaches me how to use it for his glory. This life he blessed me with is ALL about him! So, these are my thoughts, my heart cries, and my lessons from his glorious Word. These are the teachable moments from my Savior!

Psalm 25:4-5 "Show me your ways, LORD, teach me your paths. Guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long."

Thursday, April 14, 2011

~Desperately Needing Jesus~

A few weeks ago I had the awesome opportunity to attend a Christian women’s conference in Greenville, SC, and hear some beautiful women of God share their testimonies of what God has done in their lives. What a blessing that was to go and be refreshed in the Word! These were women that led ordinary lives but were transformed by an Extraordinary God! I was stirred in my soul, as the Holy Spirit was moving in that place!

A speaker that really touched my heart was Lysa TerKeurst. She has such an infectious love for God and ministers to women all around the country. As she shared her testimony I noticed a young woman walk onto the stage. At first I thought that this sweet lady was part of Lysa’s testimony and was about to share something herself, but then she just stood there. She stood there looking a little “lost” and I came to realize that Lysa apparently didn’t expect her there either. Lysa, reading from God’s Word, so gently put her arm around this woman and kept speaking. A few moments later, Lysa’s assistant, very respectfully walked onto the stage and took the lost young woman by the hand and led her down. I wondered about that woman and felt a burden for her. A few days after I returned, I read Lysa’s blog and there it was, the story of that precious young woman. I have been moved by this testimony and wanted to share it with you.

This was Lysa’s blog:

____________________________________

I Was Her

I saw her coming across the arena. Deliberately. Intentionally. Her eyes fixed on the stage… on me… on what I must have represented in that moment, a woman who might understand.

Through the crowd, up the stairs, across the stage. She stood next to me pressing her shoulder against mine as I was speaking to 6500 women.

And there she was staring out at thousands. But pressing into one. Needing more than words.

Later she explained she needed to feel God and thought if she stood close enough to me, she just might be able to feel Him.

I didn’t have time to carefully plan what to do. I’ve never had this happen before. I’ve never seen this happen. It wasn’t even on my scope of possibility. But there she was. And there I was. Two women who simply and desperately need Jesus.

And because I am so hyper aware of my own desperation for Jesus every moment of every day, I simply wrapped my arm around her and kept on speaking.

It was a wrinkle in time. Something that wasn’t supposed to be and yet was. And I think I now know why.

I needed to remember that ravenous longing I once had to press against somebody who knew Jesus. I was her. Looking at other people’s faith wondering how to get that. That depth. That closeness. That unswerving conviction.

I truly thought if only a person with that faith would let me close enough, I’d discover their secret. I’d learn their routines. I’d mimic their obedience. I’d follow them to the ends of the earth until I got it right. Then, then, then, I’d feel close to Jesus. I’d understand the Bible. I’d pray powerful prayers. And all would finally make sense.

However, there is a big difference between being close to people who love Jesus and being close to Jesus Himself.

I can certainly learn from people. “He who walks with the wise, grows wise.” (Proverbs 13:20)

But if I want closeness with Jesus, I won’t find that in following anyone but Jesus Himself. He is the One who must be pursued.

There have been a thousand whispers from my heart, “Show me, Jesus. Show me how to follow you, be close to you, press into you, be more like you… showFont size me. Show me today. Show me in this minute. Show me, please Jesus, show me.”

A thousand whispers. And there will surely be thousands more. For Jesus isn’t One to be figured out. And closeness isn’t something that can ever be explained.

He simply says, “Follow me.” And those who dare to whisper and then walk, find Him.

Yes, there she was. And there I was. Two women who simply and desperately need Jesus.

Lysa

________________________

What a beautiful reminder of how desperately we all need Jesus! May we all pursue him this week and celebrate the greatness that is our Jesus!

Blessings~

Allison

No comments:

Post a Comment